Saturday, December 20, 2008

Nvidia Makes Notebook GPU Drivers Available

Today is a day that I thought I'd never see come.

For the last several years, I have had to help countless people with their graphics drivers on their notebooks. There are enough problems with desktop graphics drivers as it is, but on notebooks, you have to either pray that your laptop manufacturer will make a fairly recent version available to you, or download a modified version that will actually install on your laptops.

Of course, this hasn't been a problem for Linux users, but I am referring to Windows drivers.

A few years ago nvidia made drivers directly available for the Geforce 7800/7900 series, but few people have those and they didn't keep up and offer it for any more models.



Well today is different. You can now download graphics drivers for any discrete (non-integrated) Geforce 8 or Geforce 9 series GPU. This includes the 9500m GS on my 14.1" Asus notebook.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

This reinforces my moderate preference for Nvidia. Now please make Geforce 9400 powered netbooks, and the (less power-hungry) Geforce GTX 260 55nm available.

No comments:

Post a Comment